The radiant light, unhindered and inconceivable, eradicates suffering and brings realization of joy; the excellent Name, perfectly embodying all practices, eliminates obstacles and dispels doubt. This is the teaching and practice for our latter age; devote yourself solely to it. It is eye and limb in this defiled world; do not fail to endeavor in it. Accepting and living the supreme, universal Vow, then, abandon the defiled and aspire for the pure. Reverently embracing the Tathagata's teaching, respond in gratitude to his benevolence and be thankful for his compassion.

~ Shinran Shonin, Passages on the Pure Land Way

Thursday, October 31, 2013

My True Home



http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac274/glyptoteket/Buddha%20barok%20og%20bryggeren/AmidaBuddhaudsnitJapanEdo-perioden1701NyCarlsbergGlyptotek.jpg

I have heard from Master Honen
That the hearts of those who say the Nembutsu
Dwell constantly in the Pure Land.
Indeed, the Pure Land is my true home,
And Amida Buddha my real father-and-mother.
No matter how far I may roam through birth-and-death,
Amida stands at the gate of the Pure Land,
Welcoming me with open arms.
Not only that, but I am protected by Amida
Wherever I am.

How can I not obey
The command of the Tathagata?
"Leave everything at once,
And come straight to Me!
I will watch over you.
Do not fear death,
For when you die,
I will take you to My country.
And there you will dwell eternally,
Never again to be born unwilling
In evil realms."

Surrounded by Buddhas, honored ones
As numerous as sands from the Ganges,
What do I have to fear?
Thank you, Oya-sama!

Namo Amida Butsu.


October 9, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment